Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Oat Milk Bath

One of my fond memories from childhood was getting an oat bath from my mom when I had chicken pox.  My older brothers hadn’t gotten them yet so I was alienated from them until the pox went away.  Luckily my mom was there for me.  I remember that oat bath being so soothing on my itchy skin. And being doted on by my mom felt pretty good too.
 
You don’t need chicken pox to enjoy a good oat milk bath.  They’re great for every day relaxation and also sunburns. Oats soothe and soften the skin. They contain fat and vitamins B & E.  Buttermilk is a mild exfoliant and an emollient which sheds dead skin cells and softens the skin. Buttermilk is also said to stimulate cell growth. In the recipe below I changed it up by adding brown rice. Rice can soothe irritated skin, condition, and tone.  I hope you enjoy!



Oat Milk Bath
Makes About 12 Bags/Baths
 
1 C Dried Buttermilk (or dried milk)
1 C Long Grain Brown Rice
2 C Steel Cut Oats
Mix the ingredients in a bowl.  Fill muslin bags with about 3T of the mixture and pull the bag closed with the strings.  These will stay fresh 3-6 months.


When ready for the bath, fill the tub with hot to warm water.  Put one of the bags in the water and leave it in during the bath.  You may want to massage the bag at the beginning to better release the contents. When bath time is over, pull the bag out and throw it away.


Decorated Muslin Bags

You can find muslin bags at tea or craft stores.  It’s necessary to put the oat milk bath in a muslin bag because you don’t want to clog your drain with the loose contents.  These bags are great because after it moisturizes your bath water you can throw it away with no mess.  Use them as is or decorate them as I have.
Using fabric paint and a brush, lightly paint a stamp.  Stamp the bag and let it dry.  You can also paint directly on the bag if you feel comfortable.
Fill the bags with about 3T of oat milk and pull the strings tight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment